Sunday, May 6, 2007

Reflections

When I was about 6 or so, I got to dress up for Halloween as a bride. Cute, frilly, white dress with white, Easter Sunday shoes, a bouquet of silk flowers that fell out of their bundle every time I breathed, and two elastic headband veils. The veils were what perplexed me the most. Why two? I didn't get it. Mom explained that the bride's face was covered by one when she walked down the aisle, and the groom moved it back later, when he kissed her. But my 6 year old mind found folly in the tradition. I wanted everyone to see my "radiance," if you will, and the veil only got in the way.

Recently, I've been reading 2 Corinthians. In the third chapter, Paul explains the difference between the old ministry of atonement and the new. He references Moses, who had to wear a veil when he experienced the glory of God after receiving the old, fading ministry of condemnation - the Law. Now that we have the new ministry of salvation, how much more glorious will that appear? And how much brighter will we be, no longer veiled by misunderstanding the old?

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." (v. 18)

We're like mirrors, reflecting, not our own glory, but God's. Sometimes our veils get in the way: our pride, our pain, our skewed perceptions, our immaturity. But thanks to God, He is transforming us into His likeness, that we may be covered no longer.

I am beginning to realized that my life is not my story. It is God's. He is the protagonist, and He is the author. It's just not about me.

I want to be an unveiled mirror of His glory. I want everyone to see what Abba's love has done to me, for them to look at me as one who is loved, because I am. And maybe, they will be drawn by that reflection of His brilliant rays, rather than the pathetic, fading beam of my own existence. When I look around and see those who are reflecting His light into my life, I know that I am called to do the same.

When I get married, I'm not going to wear the second veil. I want my groom and everyone else to see what love has done to my countenance. Why would you want to cover that up?

So, that's what I learned in Kindergarten. I guess it's all I really need to know.

No comments: